Wismilak Tournament 2007 Announced

SEMINYAK ~ The organizers of the Wismilak international women’s tennis tournament announced this week that the competition would be held again this year, from September 9-17, in Nusa Dua.

“The tournament has worked hard to get where it is today, and maintaining this image and continuously striving to exceed the success achieved (each) year is the hardest part of organizing the tournament,” said director Kevin Livesey.

Russian Svetlana Kuznetsova won last year’s single’s title, followed by American Lindsay Davenport the year before. The largest such event in Southeast Asia carries a purse of US$225,000.

The competition, which began life in Surabaya, in 1994, and was also held in Kuala Lumpur before moving to Bali, also served to highlight Bali and the rest of Indonesia as destinations, said Livesey.

“With a goal to promote Bali and Indonesia in the eyes of tennis fans and sports enthusiast around the globe, our efforts of inviting world-class tennis players to indirectly act as ambassadors for Bali is the approach we have achieved each year.

“Our tournament has become ‘a must-participate’ event amongst international-caliber tennis players,” he said, alluding to cultural activities players engage in, such as tours of well-known attractions.

“This year promises yet another successful year, as we prepare to invite and showcase the best of professional women’s tennis on the courts in Nusa Dua.”

Players would be confirmed in the months leading up to the event, said the organizers.

Filed under: The Island

Comments are closed.