Australian Gets Three Months for Drugs

DENPASAR ~ A media scrum descended on the Denpasar District Court on Tuesday as Michelle Condon arrived to hear the judges’ verdict in her drugs trial, with the panel sentencing the Australian to three months’ jail, effectively freeing the 35-year-old due to time already spent in detention.

The sentence was in line with prosecutors’ request last week.

The judges, led by chief judge Wayan Merta, said their decision was based on the defendant being a drug addict and not a trafficker.

Condon was arrested in Bali last November with 0.2 grams of crystal methamphetamine (locally known as shabu-shabu) on her person. She is due to be released from detention next week, and told reporters in the media-packed courtroom after the verdict that she planned to immediately return home to Australia.

Condon’s sentence is in stark contrast to that of other Australians in recent months, some of whom have been sentenced to death for attempting to traffic heroin out of Bali and are currently appealing to the country’s Constitutional Court on the premise that the constitution protects all life, though judges last week said such a provision only applies to Indonesians, and not foreign nationals. (BT/WJF)

Filed under: The Island

Comments are closed.