Singaraja Villa Gutted by Fire
SINGARAJA ~ Villa Rama in Singaraja, owned by Dutchman Tom Japler, 68, was completely destroyed by a fire that raged for almost five hours Causing losses estimated at around Rp1 billion (US$106,000).
Witnesses said the fire apparently started because of a short circuit in the electrical system, which ignited the thatched roof.
â€œThe fire at Villa Rama broke out in the middle of the night and we immediately went to the location, after a call to the Buleleng Fire Department. The fire was first seen in the main building which had a roof made of thatch,â€ said a fire officer.
â€œWe had to mobilize four fire engines from the headquarters in Singaraja, and from our assistance station in Seririt and only after almost 40 water tanks had been used could the fire be extinguished,â€ he said.
Nobody was hurt in the fire.Filed under: The Island