Court Throws Out Bali Bombersâ€™ Final Appeal
DENPASAR ~ The Denpasar District Court threw out the final appeal on Thursday of three men sentenced to death for their roles in the 2002 Bali bombings that killed more than 200 people, officials said.
Officials said the bombers had already exhausted the appeals process and their latest petition was invalid, bringing them one step closer to execution by firing squad.
“We received the decision of the supreme court yesterday. It basically says that there’s no second or third judicial review,” court chairman Nyoman Gede Wirya said, without elaborating.
A spokesman for the Attorney General’s Office said the decision brought the executions of the three men closer, although he gave no indication of when the sentence would be carried out.
The three members of the Jemaah Islamiyah regional terror network – Amrozi, Imam Samudra and Ali Ghufron – were convicted in 2003 and are being held in an island prison off the south coast of Java.
The men remain defiantly unrepentant over their lead roles as plotters of the attack that killed 202 people, mostly foreign tourists at bars and nightspots in Bali.
They have said they will not seek presidential clemencies and are looking forward to becoming martyrs.
“You can say that their executions are closer if they don’t file any request for a clemency to the president,” Attorney General Office’s spokesman Bonaventura Nainggolan said.Filed under: Headlines