Chandra Fatmawati, a 28-year-old pharmaceutical representative from Balikpapan in Kalimantan, shared her day with The Bali Times

We like to take walks and snorkel and generally live life and be really active.

I work from Monday to Friday and five days a week I have to get up about 8am to get ready. I have breakfast and take a shower and I’m ready to go around 9am. My boyfriend volunteers as an English teacher once a week, but apart from that he’s retired so he sometimes gets up with me and sometimes stays in bed.

In the morning I head straight down to my office in Denpasar and spend a few hours sending data to the company’s head office in Surabaya. I was recently transferred to Surabaya, but it was hard and expensive to only see my boyfriend, who lives in Bali, at the weekends; so I decided to come back.

Around 11am I leave the office to visit hospitals and have meetings with doctors about the medicines my company provides. I visit hospitals and clinics all around south Bali, including Denpasar, Badung and Gianyar, and I spend a lot of time on the road, traveling from meeting to meeting. This is one thing I like about the job, because my time is quite flexible and if I need to run errands or just stop for a little time to rest, I can. Sometimes after I’m finished with meetings or I’m heading for another hospital, I stop to do some shopping. I really hate sitting in an office all day, so it’s great that I can be out and about while I’m working.

At around 1pm most doctors take a break for lunch and a rest before going to hold clinics in the evening. I also go home to eat and relax. Sometimes I have a sleep because I’m tired from being busy in the morning, but most of the time I watch some TV and hang out with my boyfriend if he’s around.

I like to try to get to the gym most days around 4pm and spend about two hours there before going home to shower, eat and go back out to work. Most doctors either have their own practices or have evening hours at hospitals, so I have to get back out and try to meet with them again. Often the evenings are much more difficult than the mornings because there are a lot of patients waiting to see the doctors, which means I have to wait until they have all been seen.

I also have to plan which doctors I need to go to first, depending on their hours. Most evenings I work until about 10 or 11pm, but on really crowded nights I have stayed out until 12 or 1am.

Nights like that are when I really don’t like my job because I spend a lot of time waiting around to see the doctor, which is really boring and tiring. It’s not a job that is hard work physically but on those long nights it can be really mentally tough. I also never know if anything is going to come of a meeting, so waiting for so long seems really pointless sometimes.

If I finish work at a reasonable time, I like to meet up with friends in Denpasar and hang out for a while, or go for dinner with my boyfriend. But more often than not I’m pretty tired and I want to go home and watch some TV and go to sleep.

On my days off, my boyfriend and I really like to travel around Bali. Most weekends we go to Kuta, Padang Bai or somewhere we haven’t been before. We like to take walks and snorkel and generally live life and be really active. Admittedly, I do like to lounge around in front of the TV, but I balance it with plenty of activity as well. Because neither of us is from Bali, we like to see new places and try different foods, and make the most of the wonderful place we live.

Filed under: One Day

Leave a Reply