Online Oratory

Comments on stories posted at www.thebalitimes.com.

ON LIFETIMES WITH IBU MARSI, A 95-YEAR-OLD FROM UBUD

Janice Says:

Thank you for your words of wisdom. I am reading them in England (Western Europe). We all lose sight of what is really important in this world at times; my father also said that the most important thing to him was family and good relations with others.

***

ON INSTINCT, FEISTY FRIENDS DOWN UNDER

Kerri Johnston Says:

Hello Elizabeth, raining again on the sunny coast. Nice article! We are off to Perth on Monday for 10 days for the Aussies. Be in touch soon. LOL Kerri

***

ON EDITORIAL MY BALI VACATION? RUBBISH

Bill Gossett says:

I spent last Friday, 6 March, at Blue Lagoon near Padang Bai and have never seen so much trash in the water during my past nine years of visits here. The coastal area along Candi Dasa is likewise full of trash. The accepted practice of throwing anything and everything into local streams, to be washed into the sea during periods of high rains, needs to be addressed. Bali beaches, once the talk of the globe, are quickly becoming as polluted as those of Southern California. If people cannot find clean beaches here, they will go elsewhere!

Paul Weaver says:

Maybe there is a need for a “Keep Bali Beautiful” campaign like the successful and ongoing “Keep Australia Beautiful” operation where many conscientious citizens unite to make an effort to clean up, and thus provide a good example for others.

***

ON TABANAN REGENT GOES RAT-HUNTING

Edi says:

They wouldn’t have to go far! I caught 16 in a week on the second floor apartment I’m living in. They’re climbing the walls.

***

ON HEALTH EXPERT CALLS FOR DOG-FREE ZONES

David says:

I have just returned back to Australia from Bali after a three-week trip. I travel to Bali at least three times a year for business and was so surprised that the first few days being in Bali I would have seen over 200 dogs on the streets and only noticed three with the rabies tag.
I really think it is time to act for the sake of Bali so as to keep the tourists coming. I think the biggest concern is how many families will now think twice about coming to the island.
It is only a matter of time before it starts to hit media more around the world, if things are not controlled.

***

ON BT DIARY, A GREAT GESTURE OF FRIENDSHIP

Mark Says:

I’m a Victorian firefighter that helped fight these fires and have been to Bali 12 times so I have a special association with Indonesia. What a wonderful gesture from the Indonesian Government to help rebuild schools for Australian school children. Well done, Indonesia.

***

ON MY COMPOUND LIFE, ONE VERY BIG HAPPY FAMILY

Denise Qualtrough says:

Hannah, what a fantastic read. Felt like I could see the compound and feel the place. Well done; keep up the good work.

***

ON RICH MAN, POOR MAN, TOBACCO STILL A KILLER: STUDY

Maria Ziegler says:

Yes! Smoking in Indonesia is quite universal, and of course, it would be a good thing if it could be curtailed, as so many men die of lung cancer, caused by smoking.
But worse is the habit of males drinking arak, that can be so cheaply manufactured. It causes illness of the liver and a slow death.
As I witnessed myself, it is especially the poor and unemployed, but also people in daily contact with alcohol-drinking foreigners, who become victims of liver decease.

***

ON CLINTON SEES NEW ROLE FOR INDONESIA IN US ‘SMART POWER’

Maria Ziegler says:

Being well-informed in the history of Indonesia and in the past history, when the American obsession with communism led to the terrible massacres of people suspected to be communists, especially in Bali, I do hope Indonesian politicians will be aware of American government policy.
So far Obama has not proven that he is promising to have a Middle East policy to bring peace and justice to the people of Gaza, the Lebanon and the Middle East. He seems just to fulfill his promise to the Israelis, that he will look after the Israeli dream of conquering or/and taming the Middle East strategic spots in favor of Israel.
There is still a holocaust going on, but this time against the people of Gaza.

***

ON MORE NYEPI PARADES BANNED

Maria Ziegler says:

As a foreigner, although because of birth, closely “related,” I feel not really empowered to voice an opinion. I do not know whether Hindu Balinese will be very upset.
I think to allow children to be able to make the effigies and parade them is an excellent idea.
So an old custom, based on the Hindu religion, can still be expressed. This is very important, in times of great change.

***

ON POLICE BREAK UP PROSTITUTE RING

Edi says:

No problem! There’s 200 others still going.

*****