Bali’s Swine Flu Patients ‘Recovering’
DENPASAR ~ Another Australian tourist is in Sanglah Hospital being tested for swine flu, doctors said.
He is a 26-year-old man who was admitted to the Nusa Indah isolation ward last Friday with the clinical symptoms of H1N1 influenza.
Head of Medical Services at Sanglah Dr. Lanang Suartana announced that the hospital was treating seven patients for swine flu.
All were responding well to treatment and were on Tamiflu medication.
Swine flu cases in Sanglah are all foreign tourists. Most are from Australia, where Melbourne is the city hardest hit by the outbreak. The disease is mild in most patients who are otherwise healthy.
Dr. Lalang said Sanglah was making arrangements to expand its isolation ward from six to 23 beds to cope with further cases should that be necessary.
Authorities are also putting plans in place to deal with any outbreak in the Balinese community. This includes measures to ensure other hospitals at Gianyar and Tabanan are equipped to handle local patients with the disease.
So far swine flu in Bali has been confined to tourists who developed the disease after arriving here. There is a three- to five-day incubation period for influenza strains.Filed under: The Island