Regents Probe: SBY’s Nod Awaited
DENPASAR ~ The Bali Public Prosecutor is still waiting for presidential permission to investigate the regents of Karangasem and Buleleng over separate corruption allegations.
“I hope to receive the president’s permission after Lebaran so we can make the examinations,” said special assistant (crime) from the Public Prosecutor’s Office Anom Susila on Tuesday.
Susila said statements had been received from almost all other people in the two regencies who were implicated in the corruption cases.
In Buleleng, a court sentenced the four other suspects to between one and four years in jail after the Singaraja Public Prosecutor found that the price of heavy equipment had been manipulated from Rp425.7 million (US$42,570)to Rp935 million ($92,500).
A senior Buleleng Public Works officer was accused of corruption by bypassing the tender process in the procurement of the equipment. The prosecutor at that time did not find that Buleleng Regent Putu Bagiada was involved.
In Karangasem, Regent I Wayan Geredeg will be investigated – if the president authorises this – in a case involving acquisition of land in which the price was allegedly inflated by Rp2.5 million ($250) per are (100sq m) to Rp18.9 million ($1,890) per are.Filed under: The Island