Ten Years’ Jail Sought for Terror Suspect
PROSECUTORS have asked for a 10-year jail sentence for a 31-year-old man accused of harbouring two terrorists involved in July’s suicide bomb attacks on two Jakarta hotels.
The accused, Aris Susanto, had “committed a crime by assisting or accommodating terrorists,” prosecutor Totok Bambang told the South Jakarta District Court on Tuesday.
“We seek 10-year prison for him as he was proven to be guilty in hiding Syaifudin Zuhri and Ibrohim,” Bambang said.
Syaifudin Zuhri, the alleged operational commander of the hotel attacks, was killed by police in October. Ibrohim, one of Zuhri’s accomplices, was killed in Central Java last year.
Police investigating the July 17 bombings on the JW Marriott and Ritz-Carlton hotels, in which nine people died, arrested Susanto in Central Java in August.
Noordin Mohammed Top, the leader of a splinter faction of the Jemaah Islamiyah terror network and alleged masterminded the twin attacks, was killed during a raid on a house on the outskirts of Solo, Central Java, in September.
Malaysian-born Noordin was linked to the 2002 Bali bombings, in which more than 200 people died, as well as the 2003 attack on Jakarta’s Marriott hotel, the 2004 bombing of the Australian embassy and the 2005 Bali attacks.Filed under: The Nation