Manager Summoned in Conflict over Bankrupt Aston Hotel

BENOA

The manager of a bankrupt luxury hotel in Nusa Dua has been summoned to Bali Police Headquarters to clarify a dispute over the transfer of ownership of the property following its sale in a debtor’s auction.

The Aston Bali Resort and Spa, at Benoa Harbour, was previously owned by PT Dewata Royal International. The company was declared bankrupt by a Surabaya court last November after failure to repay debts, alleged to amount to US$22.16 million, to PT Bank Mandiri.

Bank Mandiri had previously objected to alleged attempts by PT Dewata Royal International to hamper the process of bankruptcy settlement and the auction of the hotel.

Employees of the hotel have been demonstrating in front of the property, with some wondering how a hotel with “high occupancy rates” could be bankrupt.

Betty Ancieli of PT Dewata Royal International was reported to police by Widodo Setiadi, director of PT Karya Tehnik Hotelindo, the company awarded ownership of the property when it was auctioned as seized assets.

Setiadi alleges that on June 30 Ancieli blocked his attempts to assume control of the Aston Bali, saying that Dewata Royal Internatinoal had not been made aware of the auction results.

Setiadi told police that Ancieli’s actions had left his company with a deficit of Rp182 billion (US$20 million).

Speaking to reporters on Tuesday, Ancieli said that the police were unaware of the details of the case, and claimed that there had in fact been no decision from the courts about the result of the auction.

“I’m perfectly happy to be reported to the police; I will be able to explain the truth,” she said, adding that PT Dewata Royal International’s assets had been valued at between Rp500 and 700 billion.

“So why is the winner of the auction rated at only Rp182 billion?” she said.

Filed under: Headlines

Comments are closed.

1