Buleleng Villagers Still Waiting for Home Aid
A provincial government program to offer free home-improvement work to poor families and to ensure minimum basic living conditions is being patchily implemented, according to locals in Buleleng.
In Subuk village in the Busungbiu district of the north Bali regency 11 families eligible for the aid have yet to receive assistance, according to village officials.
Subuk village secretary Made Merta said the families were living in cramped houses with leaky roofs and earth floors, and most had no regular wage earner.
“We’ve got these 11 families here who are entirely deserving of help, so I don’t know why every time we submit their names for assistance the help isn’t forthcoming. For this entire year only one of our residents has received any help from the higher authorities,” Merta told reporters on Sunday.
Merta cited the case of an impoverished Subuk resident, Ketut Seja, who lives with his family of five in a one-room house measuring three metres by two metres. The house had already been surveyed by officials and declared deserving assistance for renovation, Merta said, but the aid had not been forthcoming.
“We submitted the proposal twice, and the property was surveyed but the help just hasn’t materialised. I feel embarrassed about the situation because the residents have been waiting and waiting, and there’s still no sign of the aid,” he said.Filed under: Headlines