Beauty Queens Heading for Bali


Bali is set to host hundreds of beauty queens and their fans during the 2013 Miss World pageant.

Julia Morley, co-chairwoman of the Miss World Organisation, met Bali Governor I Made Mangku Pastika on Monday to discuss the forthcoming event.

She said the organisation had chosen Bali because of its global fame as a beautiful resort island, and its established track record for hosting international events.

“I feel better when I’m here and surrounded by such friendly people. Next year, I want to stay longer,” she said.

The pageant is scheduled for September 2013, Mroley said, and Miss World officials are currently scouting out likely venues for the event in Bali.

Morely was accompanied on her visit by current holder of the Miss World crown, Ivian Lunasol Sarcos Colmenares. The Venezuelan is due to attend the the Miss Indonesia 2012 contest in Jakarta on Saturday.

Morley said that 131 contestants had already confirmed attendance at the 2013 event, with more likely to sign up in the coming year.

Pastika welcomed the announcement that he event would be held in Bali. He said the authorities would continue to improve the infrastructure and services required to accommodate the beauty queens.

“We’re ready, but we’re continuing to work on improving infrastructure and security for the competition,” he said.

Previous international beauty events in Indonesia have drawn protests from Islamist groups, but Pastika said that security would be carefully planned for the 2013 pageant.

“This will ensure that Bali is even better known around the world,” he said.

Filed under: Headlines

Comments are closed.