By S.BS. Surendran
Feng Shui is all about creating a space that exudes harmony, peace and happiness, thereby ensuring a good flow of energy in and around a structure. If the immediate surrounding is not that harmonious, it is said to negatively affect certain aspirations in the life of the occupants, such as relationships, wealth, family luck and even cause illness.
The study of feng shui is all about energy flow, energy vibrations and its impact on the occupants in a building; hence, a good understanding of the immediate surroundings in terms of the design layout, materials used and their effects are essential in designing a harmonious structure.
From the subatomic particles to skyscrapers, from good vibes to auras, everything in the universe is said to be vibrating and pulsating. Our personal vibrations interact with the vibrations of our environment, including the people, places and things that make up our world. The art and science of feng shui help in actively choosing or intending to engage with the favourable energy available to us at all times.The universe is comprised of the interaction of the five elements, and so is the internal system of the human body, which is also made up of these five elements. When we are surrounded with symbols that generate positive energy, the body, mind and soul are at peace; the aura is in balance. Adapting harmonious designs and empowering the internal space with auspicious symbols, motifs and décor enhances the positive vibes of a space and creates serenity, peace and good health for the occupants; and in turn, it motivates the individual to bring out the best in them.
To enhance the energy vibes in a space, we need to have vital data like orientation of the building, compass directions, main door orientation, interaction of elements, the natal charts of the individuals. With these basic inputs, one can tap into the positive energies in premises by placing and carrying specific symbolisms or adapting décor and colours which are supportive.
In feng shui symbolism, the symbolic level of it works due to the energy-specific symbols based on the five elements which activate the right balance and positivity. This in turn connects with the subconscious level of the minds of the occupants, in a positive manner, and not only enhances the internal chi (energy) of the occupants but also that of the premises.
Any of the following simple methods can enhance the positive energy in premises:
• Displaying a figurine of two fish in metal, which represents strength, bondage and love for married couples; it’s auspicious and a good-luck charm too. Maintaining clean, live aquariums with active fish, which enhance the water element, is said to activate wealth luck when placed in the east, north or southeast parts of the building.
• Using green jade, peridot (a light-green gemstone) and green garnets in jewellery designs is considered good. Green connotes freshness and vitality, and it also signifies the wood element, which signifies growth in feng shui. You can enhance wood elements by placing healthy plants around.
• Placing crystals in the four major corners of the home helps to conquer bad energy or bad luck, and to bring plenty of wealth luck to the family. It also strengthens the Earth’s energy as crystals represent the Earth element.
• Crystal lotus flowers signify the ability to remain rooted in the mud of the Earth and rise to perfect purity above; it is the universal symbol of the flowering of consciousness and spiritual attainment. When placed under a bright spotlight it will refract the light and generate peaceful energy in your environment, which aids the productive cycle of the fire and earth elements. Alternatively, turning on bright lights or having a splash of brighter shades of ochre and orange as wall décor can create positive energy, or yang chi.
• Placing metal art décor or figurines or suspending oriental metal coins (round Chinese coin with a square hole) above the main door empowers the entry with metal energy, bringing in sense of confidence, abundance and strength to the occupants.
• Wearing bracelets of clear crystal, amethyst or rose-quartz beads controls emotional imbalance, activates love, peace and harmony and good health; however the beads have to be cleansed periodically and recharged with early morning sunlight.
Adapting feng shui in your premises acts as a catalyst to activate the good luck of the space and occupants. However, it is influenced by the energy, thoughts and actions of the occupants. Merely placing feng shui symbolism in your building without practicing positive affirmations, generosity and good deeds may not realise your desires.
So it’s important to place an emphasis on positive thoughts, good vibes and a feel of abundance while using such symbolisms to derive the maximum out of such-time tested methods.
S.BS. Surendran is an accredited master feng shui consultant, traditional vaastu practitioner and bio-energetician based in Bangalore, India. He can be contacted via firstname.lastname@example.org
Filed under: Harmony