Teen Blinded by Bali Cocktail Warns Others

A young Australian woman blinded by a cocktail in Bali is warning others to watch out for nightclubs on the island that lure backpackers with cheap drinks.

Miekaela Krogh, from Berkeley Vale on the NSW central coast, told A Current Affair she and another friend fell sick after drinking a pair of cocktails at a bar while on holiday late last year.

Miekaela was celebrating finishing high school and it was her first time overseas.

She said her mother warned her not to accept a drink from someone she did not know or buy a drink off the street or ever leave her drinks unattended.

But the 17-year-old did not expect the cocktail she ordered directly from a bar to be laced with bootleg methanol.

Within 15 minutes her friend was vomiting as a result of methanol poisoning and hours later Miekaela herself was taken to intensive care at a local hospital .

“It was such a shock to us that a drink could do so much damage,” her mother Jenny said.

Miekaela remembers waking up and realising she could not see.

“It’s just scary. It could just see black. I could hear my friends crying,” she said.

Her mother flew to Bali to be by her daughter’s bedside as she suffered convulsions and went in and out of consciousness.

After a week Miekaela’s vision returned and she returned home in time for Christmas.

But scarring in her left eye means the teenager has difficulty seeing colours and she sometimes suffers headaches and blurred vision.

Doctors say 85% of her sight has been restored but cannot say if she will get any better.

Miekaela urges other young backpackers in Bali to only drink alcohol that comes from a bottle which they see opened themselves.

Filed under:

One Response to “Teen Blinded by Bali Cocktail Warns Others”

Leave a Reply