Tourists should be Selective on Alcoholic Drinks

DENPASAR

Bali Governor Made Mangku Pastika warned foreign tourists to be selective buying alcoholic drinks since an Australian teenager died after drinking arak.

“My wish is please drink in a proper place and drink an authorized product, don’t mix it without proper portion,” he said in Denpasar.

Liam Davies (19), an Australian tourist, died in the treatment room in Perth Hospital. He was taken to the hospital after drinking arak which contain methanol when he was in Indonesia. He was sick after celebrating New Year Eve 2013 with his friends in Lombok.

For that incident, Australian Doctors Association issued warning for Australian for not drinking local alcoholic drinks such as arak while traveling to Indonesia.

“We offer our sincere condolence on the incident. I think it will be better if there is ‘travel warning’ about the drinks so it is clear to Australian for not consume that type of liquor while in Bali,” he said.

Bali Province government is actually carrying out alcoholic drinks control through labeling and operations.

So, if the foreign tourists don’t want to get trouble when consume alcoholic drinks they have to be more selective.

Previously, Head of Indonesia Tourism Industry Association (GIPI) Bali Ida Bagus Ngurah Wijaya hoped that related parties to respond seriously on the incident that afficted the Australian teenager.

If not, he said, it could influence the image of Indonesia tourism, including Bali, above all most Australian tourist spend their vacation in Bali.

He added that arak is one of traditional drinks produced in some areas in Bali. Wijaya also hoped that the government could tighten the monitoring of alcoholic drinks sales that don’t have any licence.

Filed under: Headlines

Comments are closed.