Australian Tourist Raped and Robbed

KUTA

A recent attack on a foreign tourist has destroyed the image of Bali tourism.   On Saturday, April 27, 2013, at approximately 4:00 a.m., an Australian tourist, age 28, was raped and robbed while staying at the Villa Damais in the popular tourist destination of Kuta.

The woman was vacationing with her family and the villa housed at least eight other individuals.

When the intruder entered the room, the woman was sleeping alone.  She was awakened at knife point and forced to open the safety deposit box.  The box was empty and the intruder instead took the woman’s wallet.

In addition to the brutal attack upon the woman, the robber also stole at least three ipads, two handphones, and approximately Rp1,5 million, according to Chief of Noth Kuta Region Police AKP Reinhard Habonaran Nainggolan.

Police suspect more than one individual is responsible for the intrusion.  Although the villa employs a security guard, no one was on duty at the time of the attacks.  Police are still looking for suspects.

Meanwhile, Bali Governor Made Mangku Pastika guarantees security of Australian tourists during their visit to the Island of God.

Governor Pastika made the statement here in connection with the current case of an Australian woman, initialed LKT (28) who had been robbed and raped during her visit in northern Bali last Saturday, April 27. Pastika has commanded the police to investigate the case thoroughly.

“This incident is very worrying, thus I have to take action by coordinating with the security forces to prevent the same case to happen again in the future,” he said.

“And now, our duty is to find and detain the perpetrator,” he added.

According to Pastika, preventive and preemptive actions are  very important although tourist’s privacy in their villas is also important and needs to be protected without having to ignore security.

“Villas located in far away and isolated places are inviting criminals. Privacy is important but security is also important and so villas must not be too exclusive and must be guarded by security guards,” he said.

To increase security Pastika suggested villas’ owners hire  local people from nearby traditional villages, or cooperate with “pecalang” (local security guards).

Previously, other two Australians were found mysteriously dead and the other two were violently robbed.

“I will coordinate with the police to arrest the perpetrators and we will fight all crimes. Hence, don’t worry to visit Bali. We are ready to help, serve  and provide the security assurance,” said Pastika.

Filed under: Headlines

One Response to “Australian Tourist Raped and Robbed”

  1. Chris Cottington Says:

    Whats the point of having local security? They just sleep anyways.. You could light a fire cracker next to their head and they wouldnt wake up..

1