Aceh Earthquake’s Death Toll Reaches 24
The National Disaster Mitigation Agency (BNPB) reported that the death toll of Aceh’s earthquake increased to 24 from previously reported 22.
Spokesperson of BNPB Sutopo Purwo Nugroho in a release here said that among the dead victims, 14 were residents of Bener Meriah District while the other 10 were from Central Aceh District.
The Agency also reported as many as 249 residents were injured and taken care of at local district hospitals due to the 6.2 magnitude earthquake.
The earthquake damaged 75 buildings in Bener Meriah Districts and caused landslides that cut road access to the area.
“Two residents of Bener Meriah Districts were reported missing,” Nugroho said.
Meanwhile, in Central Aceh Districts, as many as 300 buildings had been damaged by the earthquake. The number might increase as the officials are still calculating and gathering data about the damaged properties.
Two buldozers were deployed to Takengon, Central Aceh District to remove landslides to open road access.
“BNPB has sent a Collibri helicopter of the Navy from Pekanbaru to Aceh to help disaster mitigation efforts especially at the border between Central Aceh and Bener Meriah Districts,” Nugroho said.
The Agency has also deployed a Navy CN 235 airplane to conduct aerial photograph and rapid assessment of the earthquake effect.
The 6.2 magnitude earthquake jolted Aceh province on Tuesday at 02.37 p.m Western Indonesia Time.
The quake did not have the potential to cause a tsunami, according to the head of Meteorology, Climatology and Geophysics Agency (BMKG).
The epicenter of the quake was located at 4.70 degrees of Northern Latitude and 96.61 degrees of Eastern Longitude or 35 kilometers southwest of Bener Meriah District at a depth of 10 kilometers.Filed under: The Nation