Australian Teen Electrocuted in Bali

Australian Teen Electrocuted in Bali


An Australian teenager holidaying in Bali was fatally electrocuted by live wires, officials said on Sunday, with reports his friends initially thought it was a prank.

Jake Flannery, 18, died on Saturday after touching live wires in the popular Jl Legian tourist area, where he was celebrating finishing high school with friends, according to Australian media reports.

The foreign office confirmed that they were providing consular assistance to “the family of a teenager from New South Wales who died in Bali on 26 November as a result of accidental electrocution.

“The Australian Consulate in Bali will facilitate the return to Australia of the teenager’s remains, in close consultation with his family, Indonesian authorities and funeral directors in Bali and Australia,” a foreign office spokesman said.

Friends who had been holidaying with Flannery were also being offered support, he added.

Flannery was out celebrating when he received the electric shock at about 3am, according to local media reports.

“At the time, the victim and his two friends were walking on the pavement on Jl Legian,” Kuta Police Chief Gede Ganefo was quoted as saying by the Antara news agency.

The pavement was blocked by construction works and Flannery had tried to squeeze through two piles of concrete slabs, accidentally touching signage and an electricity pole.

“At that point, the victim was electrocuted and he screamed for help,” Ganefo said.

Flannery’s mother, Cheryl, told Australia’s Sunday Telegraph that her son’s friends thought he was “playing a joke.”

The teenager graduated from school last week and his mother said she had been “so stressed out” about the trip, his first overseas, but he was “very excited” and sent her a message on Thursday saying he had been having a great time.

Some passing Australian lifeguards who saw the jolt rushed to his rescue but he was unable to be revived, the Telegraph said.

“This wasn’t what I was worried about. You don’t think about something as simple as leaning on a pole,” Flannery’s mother told the newspaper.

“You can’t imagine it happening in Australia.”


  1. Sammy da Bull says:

    I live in Bali and honestly have heard of only 1 electrocution casualty (a young child) around Kuta in my time here in 15 yrs. I have heard of PLN workers getting seriously injured on powerlines, but not killed. The voltage is much lower than that of in Australia. It is rare and a freak accident. RIP MATE!

  2. JOE MOTHBY says:

    so sorry to hear about the poor guy. awefull and how i feel for his family and friends. i have heard of several electrocutions over the years in bali but usually mixed with water of heavy rain or standing water in low puddled areas and initially thought this was at the melast beach resort off of jl padma utara they have many wires open around the pool ares. but not so. my heart goes out to the grad. R.I.P.

  3. Gay says:

    Sadly,tragic accidents can happen anywhere, anytime. It happens in australia too. Actually during our last holiday in bali, back in australia My son was thrown 2 metres after being electrocuted when he touched a light pole in a public car park.
    truely heartbreaking.

  4. When I initially commented I clicked the “Notify me when new comments are added” checkbox and now each time a comment is added I get four emails with the same comment. Is there any way you can remove people from that service? Thanks!