Aust man freed in Indonesia prison pardons

Aust man freed in Indonesia prison pardons

An Australian man jailed in Bali on drugs charges will be freed as part of Indonesia’s Independence Day pardons.

Several other Australians jailed in Bali were also awarded remissions on Tuesday, however members of the Bali Nine – who had applied to have their life sentences cut – were not among the recipients.

Sentence remissions are traditionally granted to prisoners on Independence Day as a reward for good behaviour.

Perth man Shane Christian Davey – who was arrested in September and convicted of possessing ecstasy and marijuana, and jailed for one year – was awarded a one-month remission, making him eligible for immediate release.

Davey was due to be freed from Tabanan jail late on Tuesday and will be deported to Australia.

Three other Australians were also awarded remissions.

Sunshine Coast man Brendon Luke Johnsson, jailed for five years and four months on charges related to 11.6 grams of cocaine, got a four-month sentence cut.

Sydney man Michael Sacatides, who is serving an 18-year sentence related to 1.7 kg of methamphetamine, was awarded a five-month remission.

And Robert Andrew Fiddes Ellis, jailed for 15 years on child sex offences, was given a six-month remission.

Bali Nine members Matthew Norman, Si Yi Chen and Scott Rush, applied to have their life sentences reduced, but have heard nothing from Jakarta.

In Indonesia, life means life unless a prisoner can win a determinant sentence, which must be approved by the president. Despite the jail governors and authorities supporting their applications, the trio’s appeals were not productive.

In the women’s section of Kerobokan prison, American woman Heather Mack, dubbed the suitcase killer, was awarded a six-month sentence cut, meaning she will be freed in about November.

Mack was jailed for 10 years for the grisly murder of her mother, Sheila von Wiese-Mack, in 2014. Mack and her then-boyfriend Tommy Schaefer, were convicted of bashing Mack’s mother to death in a five-star hotel room and then stuffing her body in a suitcase, which they abandoned in a taxi, before fleeing.

Given Tuesday’s remission, Mack is expected to walk from jail in November.

Mack, who was pregnant at the time of the crime, had a baby girl in 2015. The little girl, Stella, was allowed to stay with Mack inside Kerobokan prison until she was two but, under prison rules, then had to leave.

Since then she has been cared for by an Australian-Balinese woman Oshar Putu Melody Suartama.

When Mack is released she will be deported to the United States but she does not want Stella to accompany her back to the US, and she has employed a lawyer to arrange for her to stay in Bali.

It is understood that Mack is worried about the possibility of being arrested when she arrives in the US and facing further charges and jail time there in relation to her mother’s death.

“Heather is worried that she might face many problems when she arrives in the US. Heather is worried that she may well be summoned by the police related to her case in Indonesia. The FBI has responded to her case seriously. Heather is worried that the FBI may well summon her and the worst case, re-arrest her there,” lawyer Benyamin Seran, told AAP.

“Heather doesn’t really know what will happen in the US after her arrival. She anticipates many bad things may happen. Whatever happens, she wants to face it by herself. She doesn’t want her daughter there.”

The FBI is in possession of a large amount of the forensic material from Indonesia.

In order for Stella to remain in Indonesia without her mother, Mack needs to apply to the Denpasar court for a stay permit to allow the little girl to remain in Indonesia for a year.

Benyamin is currently preparing the case for court. (AAP)

Comments are closed.