Knowing Buddha Organization founder Awakening the World…..

Knowing Buddha Organization founder Awakening the World…..

Buddha is not for Decoration – Respect is Common Sense

Bangkok – Anyone visiting Bangkok these days will see the  Knowing Buddha Organization (KBO) signs at the airport on arrival,  starting at immigration desk, on billboards driving into the city, on displays and exhibitions at Buddhist temples throughout Thailand.

All this is designed to raise awareness  about the misuse of Buddha’s image as decoration instead of worship,  as Buddha’s image is supposed to be treated. “Respect is Common Sense” echo the signs.

The KBO organization spends millions per year,  raising social awareness about the morality in various areas of Thai society and most recently on the issue of climate change resulting from the World’s over use of cloud servers,  to store all those selfies we take endlessly and upload.

One would assume that the Government or the Department of Cultural and Religious Affairs, would be behind the funding of these high profile and costly campaigns to stop the disrespectful exports and use the image of Buddha as decoration.

To most people’s surprise,  it is not the Government or the Department Cultural and Religious Affairs, that is doing all of this, but the Knowing Buddha Organization’s (KBO)  founder Master Acharavadee Wongsakon, A Vipassana Meditation Master,  who is leading the charge. “Using the image of the father of Buddhism is unacceptable, disrespectful and bad manners,” says Acharavadee. “People should give respect to the symbol of Buddha,  the same way they should give respect to the father of other religion.”

Archarvadee Wongsakon also as known as  “Tan Ajan”, speaks out loudly against not just the misuse of Buddha’s image for decoration, but also the decline of morality in society , extolling the virtues such simple ideas as a countries citizens, dutifully paying their fair share of income taxes,  to give back to the country that support their lives. As well as drawing attention to a decline in morality amongst and throughout all society. KBO campaigns aim to awaken morality of people in the world not just in Thailand.  According to Master Acharavadee, “trouble and misfortune occur in the world, due to the deteriorating morality of the people. If we can mend our morality, then step by step, those troubles could also be resolved.”

To confront these highly charged issues is a tall order for any one person to take on, let alone a lay woman in a male dominated society, culture such as Thailand.

Meditation Master Acharvadee Wongsakon

Master Acharvadee Wongsakon is no ordinary woman. Starting her career in 2005 she founded of a ultra-successful Jewelry Design business, St Tropez.  Wongsakon an attractive young woman,  quickly made it to the top of Thai society and Thailand business A-list. However, not long after Acharavadee’s meteoric rise to success,  she  took up Vipassana Meditation practice to help her cope with the stresses of big business and celebrity. It was her Meditation practice that eventually led Ms. Acharavadee to decide she no longer wished to spend her life in the spotlight, going to social functions, product launches and doing media interviews.

Achacharavadee,  decided to leave the limelight, in 2010 she sold her business and with the money, she bought a property in the center of Bangkok, where she opened The School of Life, a school for young children to learn Buddhist Dhamma.

Eventually in 2011 Ms. Wongsakon, sold the rest of her worldly possessions including designer clothes and jewelry and opened a Meditation retreat in the scenic countryside of Saraburi, Thailand.  Simultaneously, also forming in 2012 the  Knowing Buddha Foundation (KBO).

Master Acharavadee Wongsakon and the Knowing Buddha Foundation (KBO) have been endorsed by the Thailand’s National Board of Buddhism. Master Acharavadee herself teaches the Techo Vipassana Meditation technique to help thousands of  laypersons to purify their minds,  based on the Four Foundation of Mindfulness (Mahasatipattana Sutta) at various Techo centres around Thailand.

Wongsakon has published numerous books, the most recent include “Top Ideas in Buddhism” and  Thailand’s  bestselling book “Awaken from the Madness, a message from the Buddha”.  Since 2014 Master Acharavadee also publishes the 5000s Magazine  promoting a  layperson’s approach to the modern Buddhist lifestyle. These publications provide information on morality in Buddhism, how Mediation can lead to a purified Mind and show that the world,  how it can change through collective morality and ethics.

According to Acharvadee’s book “Awaken from the Madness” she credits the Venerable Phra Somdeh Toh, who taught Master Acharavedee the art of Techo Vipassana Meditation. The Venerable Phra Somdeh Toh’s technique of meditation is said to be a short cut to Mind purification and spiritual awakening. According to Master Acharavadee, this practice does not require the practitioner to give up their layperson life, or be ordained as a Monk.

As the Knowing Buddha Organization message is spreading campaigns worldwide, places like the Island of Bali are taking notice. Bali is the leading exporter of Buddha images in the world, exporting thousands of tons of stone, wood carvings, paintings and clothing bearing the image of Buddha.

KBO Louis Vuitton Case

It was in Bali,  that decorations for the Buddha Bars were produced. Master Acharavadee as a young business woman travelled to Paris,  where she visited the Buddha Bar and saw first hand how the image of Buddha was being used by the Buddha Bars,  to promote the disco club life and the sale of alcohol, which goes against the very foundation of Buddhist beliefs. A despondent Acharavadee was heartbroken by this and vowed to do something to raise awareness. This lead to the formation of the  Knowing Buddha Foundation,  which a decade later, has worked with companies from Zara Home to Louis Vuitton and  Disney to stop the misuse the image of Buddha as decoration.

Buddha Bar

Master Acharavadee’s  latest campaign focuses on climate change resulting from cloud storage of data.  It is not easy to tell people around the world,  that they must start deleting all those selfies and countless photos from their cloud accounts,  because it is  accelerating climate change.  This campaign will not make Master Acharvadee or her Knowing Buddha Organization popular amongst the  billions of Instagram or Facebook users,  addicted to uploading pictures daily.

But Acharavadee’s resolve is not shaken.  According to insiders at the United Nations Climate Control Centre,  Acharavadee is spot on, “this is a issue on our radar”.

Electrical consumption resulting for cloud storage will make up 20% of the world electricity consumption by the year 2025. This is a subject that is starting to get the UN’s attention.

55 Comments

1. Srikanok says:

I support Knowing Budda Organization. Help the world is our duty.

2. Nattapongsiri says:

Thanks for supporting Knowing Buddha.
    Their stand can be strong because of such support from you.

3. Thanakorn says:

I am a Buddist. Also i support this organization “Buddha is not for decoration, Respect is Common Sense”.

4. Saithorn A says:

Every time I go to Thailand always see this massive billboard near the airport, and it has drawn my attention BUUDHA IS NOT FOR DECORATION, “respect is common sense”
    I am very agree with this sentence.

And after read this new, wow impress with the organsization

5. S.withayapak says:

I agree with KBO to stop all of misuse the image of Buddha as decoration.

6. Jutamas says:

I strongly support Knowing Buddha Organization. Thank you so much for your support.

7. Wanchai yoon says:

Respect is common sense. Thank for making better world.

8. Vichuta says:

Thanks for supporting Knowing Buddha. Buddha is not for decoration, Respect is Common Sense.

9. Patt Pattana says:

It is very rare to find someone stand up for what is right and keep carrying on devotedly. Even harder to establish a while new organization. Over time, her ideal to raising awareness of respect proves itself and more supports are coming from those who see the important of the course regardless of religion. As respect is common sense.

Thank you Master Acharavadee Wongsakon and the Knowing Buddha Foundation to never stop driving the good force. Your acts really brighten up the entire world.

10. Vichuta says:

Thanks for supporting Knowing Buddha Organizaion.
    Buddha is not for decoration, Respect is Common Sense

11. BoNus says:

I’m so glad to see that Knowing Buddha Organization has been consistently and unwaveringly protecting the dignity of Buddhists’ beloved Father, the Buddha. I absolutely agree that respect is universally understandable.I will wholeheartedly support you guy!

12. Montira Yotee says:

This is so great Thank you Knowing Buddha to protecting the Buddha image . The Big Billboard is so wonderful and powerful.Thank you from My heart.

13. Nattaya Wanichtanupong says:

It is awesome to hear that there is the official organization that is diligently protecting Buddhism by pure hearts. I strongly support this organization. Millions thanks to the Bali Times to present this article. You make my day!

14. Chittima says:

Thanks for good article, Please help support KBO to make better world.

15. S.varatin says:

Thank you so much for your support.
    I support Knowing Buddha Organization.
    “Buddha is not for decoration, Respect is Common Sense”.

16. Kanjanaphorn Chansoda says:

I support and encourage the Knowing Buddha organization fully.Thank you Master Acharavadee Wongsakon and Thank you for the team.

17. naruta says:

thank you for your best article, I do supported all campaigns that KBOs are trying to do. there was something great and challenge amongst this world going to the blindness. thanks balitimes..

18. Thanyapat M. says:

This is very beautiful, I support this idea as I am a buddhist. We respect Buddha as a father, please also respect our father.

19. Thachaphat says:

I agree with Knowing Buddha Organization.

20. NATCHA says:

I strongly support this organization.
    “Respect is common sense”.

21. Suksatit says:

Daily passing this billboard makes me appreciate what KBO is running
    and realize precious Dharma provided by the Lord Buddha with the highest respect.

22. Chayanon says:

In my 39 years lifetime, i have never seen any org is proactive to run campaign to protect Buddha outstandingly. KBO is first ever org to stand agaist disrespectful activities. I support KBO and thanks for Bali Times to put this news on website to educate people.

23. pattcharanan says:

Respect is common sense.

24. Suphakrit Pak says:

This world need the brave person to do the right thing without harm others. Respect is common sense which almost of us already forgot this foundation of goodness. The master awake this good morality in Thai society and the world. Thanks the writer to share this good thing to your country.

25. Sinarat says:

I admire Knowing Buddha Organization to do all campaigns . Thank you for your support.

26. Din Thorranin says:

Every time I drive pass the billboards. I am grateful for the campaign of not using the Buddha symbol in the wrong way. This message is very good that no one has spoken clearly before. I agree and support this campaign. Thank you Bali Times to tell this good news.

27. Pravit Kitidumrongsook says:

Thanks a million for your kind voice. It’s too often and sad to see all these unrespectfulness to Lord of Bhudda. I strongly support.

28. Khett says:

I am pleased to say “Thank you very much” to The Balitimes for disseminating and supporting what Knowing Buddha Organization has done.

29. Sirikwan Rakkai says:

You have my full support. Buddha symbols, name and statues must be placed with highest respect and not for home decoration. Thank you The Bali Times, you have done such great things to create such important awareness. Thank you again from my heart as a Buddhist.

30. AP Pan says:

Thank you for sacrifice and brave heart of Knowing Buddha keep doing the right thing even though without any support from government.

31. Suree Kijasathiarn says:

It’s so good that someone recognized what KBO has done.

32. Zine Rattiya says:

Thank you for sharing this message. I agree that regardless of what religion you believe, respect is basic morality.

As for the climate change, everyone should hold responsible to help reduce the world temperature. Heatwave from using smartphone and internet, as well as the electricity consumption from cloud storage are part of the cause of climate change. Thank you again for sharing this message.

33. supat says:

I support KBO. Help the world is our duty.

34. Suppharat owen says:

I support knowing buddha for this campain.

35. Wandee says:

Save the world is a part of our duty.

36. Pichanee says:

I support knowing buddha for this campain

37. Wisuwat says:

The campaign from KBO is great.
    I do support this organization

38. Pathitta says:

As Buddhist I really feel proud of what Master Acharavadee and KBO have done for protecting Buddha. Respect is common sense no matter what religion you are.Thank you Thebalitimes for sharing this good thing.

39. Chulanee says:

Many thanks to understand KBO and to write down such a very good article. Protect Buddha and save the world is our commonsence.

40. Boonyapa says:

Thank you KBO as lead and launch the most valuable campainges to the world.

41. Suthida says:

Thank you to spread out the good thing to world.
    The thing she does is so wonderful.

42. Nantawat Wongpattanadisaya says:

Thank you for your support and understanding that what we are doing

43. Nantawat Wongpattanadisaya says:

Thank you for your support and understanding that what my respect master doing this

44. Nuttapat yaebkhai says:

Thank you KBO.The campaign from KBO is great. I support fully.

45. Noize Athiphat says:

“Respect is common sense”
    “????????????????????????????”
    I support KBO for this campaign.

46. Ed-noi says:

KBO been working so hard for protecting Buddha and many good campaign. good article thanks.

47. Jintana kongsumlee says:

Thank you for your supporting KBO.
    Respect is common sense.

48. Chortip says:

Thank you Bali Times for this wonderful column.

It is very true that good consciousness need to be raised and aware to help to stop the misuse of Buddha as decoration and misunderstanding of how Buddha should be treated.

I am Buddhist. I am truly felt shaken and sad of how our Lord Buddha had been treated around the world and I could do nothing to stop or speak out. Until today where KBO, an organization really stood up to say what is right and spread out correct knowledge of what Buddhism is about.

Thank you KBO. I am fully support what you all had done.

49. manoon promraksa says:

This is the way of salvation.Way out of suffering Forever

50. Suparit says:

I strongly support the campaigns from this organization. All of their activities are meant to raise people’s awareness and to awaken morality of mankind.

51. Vorawan siriruxkul says:

I am a buddhist and I agree with KBO.
    “People should give respect to the symbol of Buddha, the same way they should give respect to the father of other religion.”

52. Aom says:

I ssupport kbo for this campain.

53. Peerawat says:

??? I extremely support knowing buddha Organization They Do the right thing with moral courage

54. Pon says:

What KBO has done has completely opened mind for foreigners and travellers that something are not right and they should not do it such as tattooing of Buddha onto the body, this is totally not right.

55. Tanny says:

I support KBO organization, the master Acharawadee is the super real person one that has very braved heart and sacriflie to the society, the country and Buddhist including every religious also.

The world will be better when we do as this campain !!