An East Java man has been sentenced to 20 years’ jail for a series of rapes of children in Bali earlier this year that shocked the island.
Mochammad Suharto, 30, was found guilty by the Denpasar District Court on Wednesday of having raped five underage girls. Ancillary charges included kidnapping and abuse for which he was also found guilty.
During the course of the trial, the court heard how the defendant collected the girls from school by pretending to be sent to bring them home. He then took the victims to isolated spots and raped them.
The presiding judge said Suharto’s crimes were brutal.
“The acts of the defendant were inhumane and they caused heavy trauma to the victims,” Judge Amzer Simanjunta said.
Suharto, who goes by the name Codet (Scarface) and is from Trenggalek in East Java, has also been charged with the rape of six schoolgirls, the youngest allegedly aged six, on the island of Batam near Singapore. He fled to Bali when Batam Police began investigations.
The Bali schoolgirl rapes led to extra security precautions at Denpasar schools, including special ID for parents and child carers.
Suharto was arrested in May. He had been working as a masseur.
The court also ordered Suharto to pay a fine of Rp300 million (US$33,500) or spend an extra six months in prison.
It was not known this week whether Suharto would appeal the sentence, which was five years heavier than prosecutors’ request.